Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Mission maxi: dress + tank

 

I first learned of the Mission Maxi pattern when I saw Erica's version a few years ago. I finally got around to ordering the pattern this spring and gave it a try. I think I must be the only person who had any sort of fitting difficulties though! I read some pattern reviews and most everyone said it fit great. Everything turned out fine in the end, but I had some trouble figuring out the correct size for the top half of the dress.




I started with an 8, which is where I fall on the pattern envelope's measurements for the bust, but it was too tight. The armholes also came up really high, and that feeling just drives me bananas. I was getting those drag/wrinkle lines going towards the underarms, and that doesn't look good. My fabric was a 100% cotton jersey, so there was no added spandex to increase the stretch. I'm sure if you choose a stretchier jersey knit, it would fit a little differently. (If you have a fuller bust check out Ann's review here).

Anyway, my first try ended up going to my (tiny) sister so that's fine. I'm glad it went to a good home! For this one, I cut the 10 and scooped the front armholes out a lot. I also widened the straps a little in the front and back to cover bra straps.
 

 
 
I chose black because I saw someone in a black maxi dress on a recent trip and thought it looked nice for traveling. As this is my first foray into maxi dresses, black is also a nice conservative choice too. :) I do love this striped one at Anthropologie. I have some similar fabric in my stash, so maybe if I feel like walking on the wild side I'll use it to make another maxi.

As for the hips, there was plenty of ease. I assumed that the hips would be the clingy area and the top would be fine but it ended up being the opposite experience for me. The hip curve is fairly prominent and hit kind of low on me, so I straightened out the curve to be more of an a-line shape.




I also made a tank top. For this one I went up to the 12 (with my adjusted armholes) and I'll probably stick with that for the future. I super love this tank. The fabric is a cotton jersey from fabric.com. It reminds me of something I saw at J. Crew for a whole lot more money!

I swear, I am not obsessed with polka dots. (Also here and here). I promise to dial it down from now on.





The pattern instructs you to attach one raw edge of the binding, wrap around to the inside and topstitch to secure. I think that this final straight topstitch reduced some of the stretch on my fabric which is another reason why the armholes felt tight on the dress. For the tank, I actually just did the first stitching and left the binding raw. I see this sometimes on RTW tops and decided I would like that with this print. It feels more comfortable, too. In the future I will probably fold the binding in half and stitch both raw edges to the neckline and armholes so it's finished in one pass.

I mentioned last week at the end of the Me-Made-May challenge that I wasn't sure if a completely handmade wardrobe was a goal of mine. But, it's patterns like this that lead me to believe I'll get there eventually whether I plan to or not...at least for some types of garments. It fits great, and looks just like a tank or maxi dress that I could buy. I can whip up the tank in no time, so I'm sure I'll be sewing this again.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you've come out with a garment you love in the end! The black was a good choice as you can dress it up or down and will probably work well in winter too layered with tights, long sleeve tees, cardi's etc (it's winter here, that's all I can think of! ;)
    The polka dot tanks are cute! You are obsessed! haha.

    I don't think I would want to sew everything I wear... I don't have the time to do that now with young children, and I don't WANT to either. I don't have the skills. If I had to sew everything then it would take the fun out of sewing for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would be more of a default thing that happened over time, not intentional. I like shopping too! We are already reducing our "clothing footprint" (ha ha) by sewing some things and that is enough for me right now.

      Delete
  2. Both garments look great! I especially love the polka dots, what a brilliant colour! Looks really professional too. I haven't worked with jersey that much yet, but in definitely planning to if I can make stuff like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I'll be wearing that top a lot. I don't like how jersey curls at the raw edges when sewing with it, but it is so comfortable to wear.

      Delete
  3. I'm not usually crazy about maxi dresses but you've made this one look great! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I'll have to see if I like it enough to make another...

      Delete
  4. I love your tank and maxi dress! You look great in them. Too bad I'm too short to wear one.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute, cute, cute. Gosh, I love maxi dresses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought that mccalls after I saw it on your blog! Maybe this fall I'll get to it.

      Delete